Full-time | Director of Engineering
The Senior Project Design Engineer is responsible for layout, design, and coordination of various engineered systems for assigned building projects. The primary responsibilities of the Senior Project Design Engineer will be the development and production of HVAC and Plumbing construction documents while supervising & mentoring engineering team members.
As the Senior Project Design Engineer your primary responsibilities will involve working individually or as a team leader to develop, design and plan engineered systems in accordance with a project’s proposed scope, basis of design, and/or client-owner specifications including:
- Engineer of record for systems engineered under your direct supervision.
- Project a positive image of self and company. Represent the company in a professional manner in all dealings with owners, clients, architects, vendors, other design professionals and contractors.
- Conduct site visits to determine existing conditions and document associated systems included in the scope of work.
- Develop and evaluate system concepts and schematic design options to determine the best design and engineered solution for each project.
- Design mechanical systems including temperature/pressure zoning, system layout, heating/cooling load calculations, pipe/duct sizing calculations, development of equipment schedules & system specifications, riser diagrams, installation details, and control systems points & sequences of operation.
- Interface with vendors for equipment selections & equipment submittals. Review and approval equipment submittals.
- Be directly responsible for the intake and distribution of drawings, specifications, and other design documents associated with the project created under your supervision.
- Follow company engineering standards and project document filing standards.
- Coordinate with other external design team members including the architect, acoustical engineer, electrical engineer, structural engineer, and seismic engineer to ensure the engineered HVAC and plumbing systems are integrated with other building infrastructure.
- Coordinate with internal design team members involving the project executive, project manager, virtual design & construction (VDC) team, estimating team, and the production/installation teams.
- Attend and contribute discussion and content during OAC, MEP and other design review meetings as required.
- Interface with the engineering manager to manage design manpower budget and update budget to reflect revisions or changes in scope.
- Work with building code authorities through the plan review process to secure their approval and the permit of the code-compliant engineered systems.
- Interface with construction detailers to review and approve shop installation drawings prior to prefabrication and installation.
- Work with engineering manager to develop engineering standards including installation details, specifications, and equipment schedules.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Qualifications
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) license in the state of Washington is required.
- A minimum of 12 years of progressive experience designing HVAC and plumbing systems.
- Employment experience with a design-build mechanical contractor is preferred.
- Leadership and delegation skills & experience are required.
- Experience designing engineered systems for life-science & pharmaceutical facilities, healthcare facilities, and clean room facilities is required.
- Ability to read architectural, structural, and mechanical plans.
- Ability to lead independently with minimum supervision or in a team atmosphere.
- Ability to adapt to multiple and varied responsibilities.
- Have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to consistently set goals, meet deadlines and adapt to flexible responsibilities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Proficient with Bluebeam Revu software is required.
- Familiarity with Revit. Application of Revit during design is preferred.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, technicians, sales, office and field personnel.
- Possess strong verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to meet and exceed client expectations.
- Frequent sitting, standing and bending; repetitive motions of hands and wrists due to frequent computer use.
- Able to see, hear well (either naturally or with correction) and speak clearly.